As a side dish for dinner on day 6 (check out the roasted portobellos and cherry tomato salad I had here), I made an old standby that might not sound very exciting: steamed kale with tahini sauce. While the words “steamed kale” might not initially arouse much interest, I assure you this simple dish is still very satisfying. The tahini sauce is loaded with lemon and garlic, flavors that are commonly paired with kale, and the nuttiness of the sesame seeds plays nicely with the subtle flavor of the kale. If you really want, you can also sauté the kale with olive oil and garlic to jazz it up, but steaming is quicker and still tasty in my opinion.
This vegan Whole30 kale side dish is not only easy and delicious, it’s also packed with protein. 1 serving has 14g of protein: 6g from the tahini and 8g from the kale. Greens and seeds for the win!
- 2 lbs. kale, stems removed and leaves sliced
- Tahini sauce, for serving (recipe below)
- Lightly steam the kale. For such a large quantity, my preferred method is pour a small amount of water in a large pot and bring to a boil. Add half the kale, cover and reduce heat to medium. Let cook, stirring once, until bright green and reduced in volume, about 4 minutes. Remove kale from pot - if it seems overly wet let drain in a colander. Add a little more water to the pot and repeat with the remaining kale.
- Drizzle each serving generously with tahini sauce.
- ½ c. tahini
- ½ c. water
- ¼ c. fresh lemon juice
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- Combine all ingredients either by blender or by hand until smooth. Add additional water if tahini is very thick.