These mushroom tacos are one of my all-time favorite recipes, and I was so excited to try them with my almond flour tortillas! The key to making absolutely drool-worthy mushrooms is to make sure to cook them long enough. If you let them cook until all of the water is evaporated and they get nicely browned, that also gives the onion, serrano and garlic time to caramelize. So good!
These tacos just get topped with a simple pico de gallo. I used heirloom cherry tomatoes this time in my pico, but Roma tomatoes also work great. For a green side, I tossed zoodles in a 3 ingredient lime dressing. The zoodles were so quick, and the perfect foil to the spicy tacos. Can’t wait to make this combo again!
- Heat 1 T. oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add one third of the onion, serrano and garlic and cook until softened, about 2-3 minutes. Add one third of the mushrooms and cook, stirring infrequently, until nicely browned, about 7 minutes. Add 1 tsp. oregano and ¼ tsp. salt and stir to combine, then remove from pan.
- Repeat two more times with the remaining ingredients.
- Top tortillas with the mushrooms and pico de gallo.
- 2-3 medium zucchini (about 1½ lbs.), spiralized or cut into long thin noodles (either by hand or with a julienne peeler)
- 2 T. fresh lime juice
- 1 T. olive oil
- ½ tsp. sea salt
- Toss the zoodles with all other ingredients.