While I love all-fruit based nice creams (see a couple of recipes here and here), this chocolate nice cream might be the most impressive. When frozen bananas, cocoa powder and vanilla extract are blended together, they form the richest frozen treat. Even though the base is all banana, there’s only a hint of banana flavor. Otherwise, this does a great job of imitating chocolate ice cream.
To turn this into a sundae, I topped my serving with pistachios and blackberries. But seriously, all fruits and nuts go great with chocolate. Top this nice cream with any nuts, seeds, nut butter, fresh fruit, dried fruit, or anything else you can think of!
- 2 frozen bananas, broken into chunks
- 2 T. cocoa powder
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- unsweetened almond milk, as needed
- small handful blackberries
- small handful shelled pistachios
- Take bananas out of the freezer and let sit at room temperature for 10 minutes.
- Combine bananas, cocoa powder and vanilla in a food processor or high speed blender until smooth, adding splashes of almond milk if needed.
- Transfer nice cream to a bowl, and top with blackberries and pistachios.