Day 24 of my vegan Whole30 was salad night. I personally love having salads for dinner, which is a topic my husband and I disagree on 😛 Despite that difference in opinion, we both agreed this roasted broccoli and avocado salad was tasty and filling – even if he would have preferred something besides just salad for dinner. This salad was so green and so satisfying, thanks to mixed greens, roasted broccoli, avocado and sprouts. In the recipe below, I call for broccoli sprouts and sunflower shoots (since those complement other ingredients in the salad), but feel free to substitute those. The salad gets topped off with a sprinkling of hemp hearts and sunflower seeds, and everything gets coated with a super yummy sunbutter dressing spiked with orange and coriander.
This beautiful, super green salad is also full of plant protein. Each serving has 8g protein from sunbutter, 6g protein from broccoli, 3g protein from hemp seeds, 2g protein from salad greens, 2g protein from avocado and 1.5g protein from sunflower seeds. That’s 22.5g protein in a green vegan salad – not bad 😉
- 1 lb. mixed greens
- orange coriander sunbutter dressing (recipe below)
- basic roasted broccoli (recipe here)
- 1 avocados, sliced
- large handful sunflower shoots
- large handful broccoli sprouts
- ¼ c. sunflower seeds
- ¼ c. hemp hearts
- Toss the greens in a very large bowl with just enough dressing to very lightly coat them. You will have to do this in batches; the number of batches will be determined by the size of your bowl.
- Divide the greens between 4 plates or bowls. Top each serving with remaining ingredients and drizzle with extra dressing.
- ½ c. unsweetened sunbutter
- ½ c. water
- ¼ c. fresh orange juice
- zest of ½ orange
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1½ tsp. ground coriander
- ½ tsp. sea salt (use more if your sunbutter is unsalted)
- Combine all ingredients either by blender or by hand until smooth.