This purple sweet potato smoothie tastes as good as it looks! This smoothie tastes just like sweet potato pie in a glass, but it is full of healthy ingredients. It has both sweet potato (duh) and zucchini to provide two servings of vegetables. A banana provides sweetness and bulk. To contribute to the pie flavors, I incorporated almond butter, cinnamon and vanilla. Lastly, my beloved chia seeds are there for thickness and nutrition.
This smoothie requires cooked sweet potato, so you’ll need to plan ahead a little. I just baked my sweet potatoes then stored them in the fridge. I used purple sweet potatoes here because they’re beautiful and I was lucky enough to come across them at my co-op, but regular sweet potatoes would work here too. To sneak even more veggies into this smoothie, you could also add some spinach or other greens. The only reason I didn’t do that here is because I wanted to preserve the purple color 🙂
- 1 c. unsweetened almond milk
- 1 c. cooked purple sweet potato, chilled
- ½ frozen banana, broken into chunks
- 2 c. frozen chopped zucchini
- 2 T. unsweetened almond butter
- 2 T. chia seeds (optional: soak in 2 T. water for 10 minutes)
- ½ tsp. cinnamon
- ½ tsp. vanilla extract
- Combine all ingredients in a blender until smooth.