Tonight I made pasta for the first time in a long time. I returned to one of my old favorites. This pasta dish gets tossed with lots of roasted zucchini, garlicky olive oil, almonds and basil. If you start by throwing the zucchini in the oven, you can get the pasta cooked and other ingredients assembled while it roasts. The whole meal comes together in just over half an hour with just a handful of ingredients.
I made this roasted zucchini pasta with chickpea pasta for a grain-free meal, but any pasta would work. My only recommendation would be to use a chunky shape of pasta rather than long pasta.
For a quick side, I made a green salad with radishes, cherry tomatoes and mixed shoots. I tossed with salad with a simple lemon hemp dressing. Like all salad, this one is highly adaptable. Throw in any fresh or cooked veggies you have on hand – they’ll all go well with this simple creamy dressing.
- 3 lbs. zucchini (about 4 large), sliced
- 6 T. olive oil, divided
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ c. sliced almonds, toasted
- lots of fresh basil leaves, torn
- 1 lb. pasta (I used chickpea pasta), cooked in salted water until al dente
- Preheat oven to 500F.
- Toss the zucchini with 2 T. of the oil and the salt and spread out on 2 greased or lined baking sheets. Roast for 30 minutes. if desired, turn on the broiler for the last few minutes.
- Combine the remaining 4 T. olive oil and garlic in a small saucepan over low heat. Let cook for a few minutes, stirring, until garlic takes on just a touch of color.
- Toss the roasted zucchini, garlic oil, almonds and basil with the drained pasta.
- 1 lb. mixed greens
- 1 pt. cherry tomatoes, halved
- 8 radishes, sliced
- large handful shoots or sprouts
- Lemon hemp dressing (recipe below)
- Toss the lettuce and vegetables with the dressing in a very large bowl. You will have to do this in batches; the number of batches will be determined by the size of your bowl.
- ¾ c. hemp hearts
- ½ c. water
- ¼ c. fresh lemon juice
- 2 T. nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- 2 cloves garlic
- Blend all ingredients until smooth.