One of the things I really missed during the Whole30 was fruit-based (n)ice cream. Even though the only ingredients in this nice cream are whole fruits, all ice cream substitutes are still strongly discouraged on the Whole30, so I abstained for a month.
Every time I make nice cream, I can’t get over how GOOD it is. To make nice cream, all you need to do is blend bananas or a mix of bananas and other fruit until smooth. That’s all there is to it! The blended fruit turns into a delightful creamy treat that will go with anything you choose to mix in. I’ve made this in a mini food processor, Vitamix and with a specialized Yonanas banana ice crema maker. If you use a food processor or Vitamix, you’ll probably need to add a little liquid to get the fruit to blend. I just add a few splashes of unsweetened almond milk as needed.
This time, I made blueberry nice cream with equal parts blueberries and bananas. The banana adds sweetness and makes the mixture creamy, but it definitely tastes mostly like blueberries. While it’s delicious all on its own, I turned it into a healthy sundae by adding pistachios and kiwi fruit. Fresh fruit, dried fruit, nuts and shredded coconut all are great toppings for nice cream, so just use what you like!
- 1 frozen banana, broken into chunks
- 1 c. frozen wild blueberries
- unsweetened almond milk, as needed
- 1 kiwi, peeled and sliced
- small handful shelled pistachios
- Take banana and blueberries out of the freezer and let sit at room temperature for 10 minutes.
- Combine banana and blueberries in a food processor or high speed blender until smooth, adding splashes of almond milk if needed.
- Transfer nice cream to a bowl, and top with kiwi and pistachios.