We often make pizza on the weekends, so this Saturday night I decided to try a whole30 version. Instead of using mushrooms as a topping, I roasted whole portobello mushrooms and topped them with sauce and Brazil nut parmesan. For toppings, I used some of my other favorites – olives, roasted peppers and basil – but these could easily be substituted for your own take on vegan Whole30 portobello pizzas.
Since I can never get enough green vegetables, I served these pizzas with Brussels sprouts. While I love unadorned roasted Brussels sprouts (recipe here), another favorite version of mine includes smoked paprika, red wine vinegar, dates and Marcona almonds. These sprouts are smoky, sweet and soooo good 🙂
Both dishes have plenty of plant protein. One serving of pizza and sprouts has 8g protein from mushrooms, 7.5g protein from Brussels sprouts, 4g protein from Brazil nut parm and 1.5g protein from almonds.
- 8 portobello mushrooms, stems removed
- 1 T. olive oil, plus extra for brushing
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- pinch red pepper flakes
- 15 oz can crushed tomatoes
- ½ tsp. dried oregano
- ½ tsp. sea salt
- ¼ c. Brazil nut parmesan (recipe here)
- sliced olives
- chopped roasted bell peppers
- several basil leaves, thinly sliced
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Arrange mushrooms gill side up on a baking sheet. Brush each cap with oil.
- Bake mushrooms for 15 minutes. If any water accumulates in the caps, drain before proceeding.
- Meanwhile, heat olive in a small pot over medium heat. Add the garlic and red pepper flakes and cook for 30 seconds. Add the tomatoes, oregano and salt and let cook 5 minutes.
- Top mushrooms with sauce (you probably won't use it all), Brazil nut parm, olives and peppers. Put back in the oven for 5 more minutes. Garnish with bail.
- 2 T. olive oil
- 2 lbs. Brussels sprouts, halved
- ¾ tsp. sea salt
- 3 T. red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp. smoked paprika
- ¼ c. chopped Marcona almonds
- ¼ c. chopped dates
- Toss the sprouts with the oil and salt in a large bowl.
- Heat a 12" cast iron skillet over medium high heat. Add the sprouts and cook, stirring occasionally, until browned on both sides and crispy in spots, about 10-12 minutes.
- Mix in the remaining ingredients.