I posted about one of my favorite quinoa and greens bowls awhile back (recipe here). The idea is simple: I cook quinoa and whatever sturdy greens I have on hand together in one pot, then top with whatever sounds good!
This time, I cooked my quinoa with dinosaur kale. For a variety of textures, I topped my bowl with roasted broccoli, carrot noodles and toasted oats. One of my favorite restaurants uses toasted oats in their grain bowl, and I shamelessly stole that idea here. They’re such a fun addition!
To finish my bowl, I drizzled everything with a lemon garlic cashew sauce. This sauce is identical to my tahini sauce, except I used cashew butter instead of tahini! This simple substitution resulted in a sauce that tastes completely different. If you’re looking for a quick creamy sauce, I recommend trying this one out!
- 1 c. quinoa
- 2 c. water
- ½ tsp. sea salt
- 1 large bunch greens, thick stems removed and leaves torn
- ½ c. oats
- 2-3 carrots, sliced into ribbons with vegetable peeler
- basic roasted broccoli (recipe here)
- lemon garlic cashew sauce (recipe below)
- Place quinoa, water and salt in a pot and bring to a boil. Top with half the greens, reduce heat to low and cover.
- In a few minutes, stir, add the rest of the greens and recover. A few minutes later, stir again and continue to cook uncovered until greens are wilted and all water is absorbed, about 15 minutes total.
- Meanwhile, toast the oats in a skillet over medium until golden all over.
- Fill bowls with quinoa and greens, then top with oats, carrot ribbons and broccoli. Drizzle with lemon garlic cashew sauce.
- ½ c. unsweetened cashew butter
- ½ c. water
- ¼ c. fresh lemon juice
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- Combine all ingredients either by blender or by hand until smooth. Add additional water if cashew butter is very thick.