It seems like most of my salads include avocado and roasted sweet potato, and with good reason! To change things up a little, I used a base of zoodles instead of leafy greens. I topped them with my beloved avocado and sweet potato, and finished with beetroot hummus. Yum!
Not only was this zoodle salad colorful and delicious, it was very filling for a salad. The zucchini are full of water, the hummus and avocado full of healthy fats, and sweet potato provides complex carbs for sustained energy. And of course, all of the vegetables are loaded with fiber and plant protein.
Even if this particular combination doesn’t sound like your favorite, I encourage you to swap out greens for zoodles in your next salad for a fun change. Enjoy!
- 1½ lbs. sweet potatoes, scrubbed and cut into half moons
- 1 T. olive oil
- ¾ tsp. sea salt
- 5-6 medium zucchini (about 3 lbs.), spiralized or cut into long thin noodles (either by hand or with a julienne peeler)
- Beetroot hummus (recipe here)
- 1½ avocados, sliced
- large handful pea shoots or other shoots/sprouts
- Preheat oven to 450F.
- Toss the sweet potatoes with the oil, spices and salt. Spread out on a greased or lined baking sheets.
- Roast for 25-30 minutes. Sweet potatoes should be soft and take on some color.
- Divide the zoodles between bowls, and top with hummus, sweet potato, avocado and shoots.